Express Scripts Sr. IT Engineer - Splunk in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
As part of the Technology Operations Engineering Enablement domain, the Enterprise Logging product team sits within a larger Reliability Engineering group that aligns all of its products across the domain around a singular goal: ensuring the most reliable technology infrastructure to power the most innovative and performant software products possible. All with the mission of making healthcare safer and more affordable for our clients and members.
As a full time, Senior IT Engineer for the Splunk product, you will be a core component and driving force around maintaining and growing the reliability, performance and scalability of the Splunk Enterprise implementation for the organization. You will bring your knowledge of design and implementation of the Splunk platform to ensure it is optimally deployed and configured to be as performant and consumable as humanly possible. You will have and bring with you, not just a knowledge of Splunk, but an experience with best practices and tuning within every tier of the infrastructure. You will have strong experience with Splunk integrations and add-ons, including both premium integrations as well as the many technology apps and add-ons offered in the Splunkbase community. You must have at least 5 years of in depth experience curating data and logs from various source types and input protocols like syslog, http/HEC along with standard Splunk forwarders. Your admin and advanced user skill set has enough balance that will allow you to jump into sometimes tuning poorly acting user searches and behavior to optimize for the good of the platform and the user.
- Bachelors degree required and 5+ years of professional experience or 10+ years of equivalent work experience
- Subject matter expertise of Splunk Enterprise 6.x and up including all aspects of administration of the platform including managing core infrastructure (search heads, indexers, heavy forwarders), agent and data source support and troubleshooting, deployment and deployment server configuration, etc.
- Splunk Certified Administrator is highly recommended.
- Strong Experience with performance tuning and capacity management best practices of Splunk Enterprise. You are expected to help us head off and solve problems relating to data ingest bursts, managing both steady as well as spikes in events ingested, etc.
- Strong Experience with best practices for self-monitoring and measuring the health, performance and availability of the Splunk platform.
- Strong Experience with all of the varying knowledge objects within Splunk. Search with SPL, dashboards and alerts.
- Strong Experience deploying Splunk apps and add-ons.
- Strong Experience with various data format structure including syslog, JSON, xml, raw and unstructured machine data.
- Must be able to communicate and collaborate with various levels of technology engineers as well as management and technical product owners alike.
- Must be able to explain and sell your points and needs and present clear cases for engineering needs and decisions.
- Must be able to work with and along-side other Splunk engineers, the tech lead and architect.
Highly Desirable Pluses:
- Highly desirable if you have knowledge and experience having worked with Splunk Kafka connectivity (Kafka collector)
- Knowledge and use of CI/CD pipeline and automation tools previously mentioned such as Ansible, Git, Jenkins is a big plus.
- Scripting and automation abilities is always a big plus (shell, Python, Ansible).
- Experience integrating Splunk with ServiceNow is a big plus.
- Demonstrated experience with Splunk and PCF (syslog drain, Firehose Nozzle).
- Working knowledge of Elastic/ELK is a big plus.
- You have worked in an agile environment and been involved in a DevOps culture. SCRUM and Kanban workflow style knowledge and experience. All pluses.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Do you enjoy making things work seamlessly and figuring out ways to improve functionality? Do you have a knack for automating processes? Be a part of our team that focuses on reliability and keeping our systems running. From data centers to servers, this talent is relied on to create and maintain critical platforms for the organization. If this is your skill set and you want to be at the center of work that impacts 83 million Americans, explore our opportunities.
ABOUT EXPRESS SCRIPTS
Advance your career with the company that makes it easier for people to choose better health.
Express Scripts is a leading healthcare company serving tens of millions of consumers. We are looking for individuals who are passionate, creative and committed to creating systems and service solutions that promote better health outcomes. Join the company that Fortune magazine ranked as one of the "Most Admired Companies" in the pharmacy category. Then, use your intelligence, creativity, integrity and hard work to help us enhance our products and services. We offer a highly competitive base salary and a comprehensive benefits program, including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, 401(k) with company match, life insurance, paid time off, tuition assistance and an employee stock purchase plan.
Express Scripts is an equal opportunity employer/disability/veteran